You can experience the local traditions of Gjirokastra in just one day. The visitors are introduced to the history and heritage of Gjirokastra. Such as ancient handicrafts and artisan traditions, the mastery of home made food, the unique architecture of the Gjirokastra, the challenge of restoration and also preservation of the authenticity.
Introduction to the history and heritage of Gjirokastra
- Visit the Castle and the Gjirokastra Museum.
Ancient handicrafts and artisan traditions of Gjirokastra
- Meet artisans and handmade souvenir producers.
- Shop for personalized souvenirs in the Medieval Bazaar.
Tasting the mastery of Gjirokastra home cooking
- Lunch with homemade food in a typical historic house.
- Taste traditional dishes of Gjirokastra: qifqi and hoshaf.
Written in Stone: the unique architecture of the Gjirokastra
- Walk upon the unique cobblestone streets.
- Visit the Medieval Bazaar and Palorto neighborhood.
- Meet a master stone-carver and socialize with the locals.
Ottoman-style Gjirokastra houses and life in the past
- Visit the tower house of Zekate and meet the family.
- Visiting the Skenduli House.
The challenge of restoration and preservation of the authenticity
- Visiting the Babameto house – An example of revitalization in effort to save the City of Stone.
- Evening of entertainment and traditional dinner at the 19th century Babameto House, cooking, dancing, and singing together.
- Learn iso-polyphonic singing and traditional dancing.