The Castle of Ali Pashe TepelenaTepelene
The Castle of Tepelene, was proclaimed Cultural Monument of first category in 1963 and is situated in the North of the city of Tepelene, Municipality of Tepelene. According to historical resources, the castle was envisioned from Ali Pasha Tepelena itself, who had supervised the first stages of construction of this heroic symbol of the region. The existing castle was rebuilt from him in 1819 with a surface of 5.5 ha, with three entrances and three towers. Until 1820 it was used as the second residence of Ali Pasha Tepelena. The walls of the castle are attached to the natural shape of the ground and do not consist of a regular geometrical form. Three polygonal towers are settled on the main curves of walls, to better control them. The Castle has three gates, one of which (the eastern) bears the inscription “The gate of Vezir”.